Chiropractors are natural healers who use hands-on techniques to help the body function better and heal itself, they are best known for adjusting people’s spines. But, may also align other parts of the musculoskeletal system, which includes nerves, bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons, they can stretch the muscles, and recommend exercises to do at home, or offer advice on nutrition and supplements.
In diagnosing a patient’s condition, chiropractors often use both external and internal assessments. For example, a chiropractor may observe the patient’s range of motion related to shoulder pain and then follow up with x rays to provide more detailed information.
Some chiropractors treat patients using procedures such as massage therapy, rehabilitative exercise, and electrical muscle stimulation in addition to spinal adjustments and manipulation. They also may apply supports, such as braces or tape, to treat patients and relieve pain.
Chiropractors typically do the following:
- Review a patient’s medical history and listen to their concerns
- Perform a physical examination to analyze the patient’s posture, spine, and reflexes
- Provide neuromusculoskeletal therapy, which involves adjusting a patient’s spinal column and other joints
- Give additional treatments, such as applying heat or cold to a patient’s injured areas
- Advise patients on health and lifestyle issues, such as exercise and nutrition
- Refer patients to other healthcare professionals if needed